Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Lauren H. Campbell Photography

Today I have a word-full for wordless week extended. I just had to include an interview with this gal as her photos are marvelous and there is a raffle that I am so psyched about. So welcome to my corner of the net, pull up a chair, sip your coffee or do whatever it is you do while you relax and get to know the artist of the day!

Lauren H. Campbell is a full-time Corrections officer in Pennsylvania who is also a newly-wed and a talented photographer. She grew up in historic Gettysburg PA and resides about 20 miles west of there today. When she is not working, or snapping photos she spends time with her husband Wayne and their 2 cats Oliver and Emma, and their dog Smuckers.

What started you on your photography journey? Do you have any 'technical classes' or is this all 'real-world' experience?

"I started taking technical classes as electives in high school. By my senior year I was taking all that I could and also working for the yearbook as a photographer and using all my extra periods to work on my photography. I also worked for the Penn State Daily Collegian as a photographer while in college...it's one of the largest student-run college newspapers in the country. I was handpicked out of about 80 other students (and I was not even a photography major!)."

That is impressive. Penn State is a very competitive school, in all fields, it must have felt great to be recognized for a passion that was not what your formal training entailed! What other passions do you have and what would you say inspires you?

"My biggest passion, other than photography, would be gardening. I can spend hours and hours outside tending to my flower and vegetable gardens. I love seeing something you put so much work into become something so beautiful. My favorite season is Spring when everything starts coming to life and I can get out there and get my hands dirty again!" The same is true for my inspiration, "I love looking at something that someone may see as "ugly" or "run down" and finding the beauty in it. That's what I love to capture. I love spur of the moment things, catching emotion. I don't mind doing portraits but I love taking pictures of the real thing...the real emotion, and not (staging it or) making it happen."

Do you have an all-time favorite photo that you have taken?
Probably my favorite picture of all time is the one that I use on my site and for all of my advertising. I was doing some family pictures for a husband and wife that I work with and their oldest daughter (3 years old) was picking flowers for mommy. My husband came along to the shoot because he is awesome w/ kids and he had her hold out the flowers so I could take a photo. The picture turned about beautiful and is definitely my favorite!

Copyright do not copy!

Lauren, do you sell your work and if so where?
I sell my work from my site laurenrhcampbell.shutterfly.com and pictures can be ordered from a link off that site at laurencampbell.nextproof.com. I also do (on-site) weddings, family pictures, maternity, pet photos...anything really!

Lauren, I have drooled over your photos ever since you first shared the link with me. You really do have a talent for catching that ideal shot. One of my favorites would have to be the peacock. Peacocks are one of my favorite animals and they are so strong-minded creatures. It is hard to truly capture their sass and not just their beauty. However, the shot you got of the male in front of the red barn not only captures that but it reminds me of my home in Pennsylvania. Can you tell me about this shot?

The peacock picture was taken at my dad's neighbor's house. My husband and I were driving out to see my dad in Gettysburg and his neighbors were out feeding their peacocks (they have about 12). The one was spreading it's feathers so I hopped out of the car and snapped some photos...with their approval of course! A lot of my pictures come from things I just see driving around, going places.

Copyright, do not copy!

Well thank you Lauren! It has been a pleasure getting a behind-the-scene's tour of your artistic endeavors!

Isn't she great? Now readers, guess what? Lauren has graciously offered one of her 8x10 prints to be signed and sent to one of you lucky visitors! All you have to do is visit her site, check out her photos, find your favorite, and message me here in the comment thread or via email. The winner will be chosen by random, easy right? Now have fun and pass the word around! Comments will close at Noon on Friday and the winner will be announced as soon as the winner is contacted!

Good Luck!

8 comments:

  1. Laurens pictures are great! I feel a little inspiration coming on. My favorite was http://laurenrhcampbell.shutterfly.com/pictures/1158

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow, gorgeous shots! My favorite is any of the flower ones! So up close and personal !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely photos, Fingers crossed!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The purple 'face' flower is my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The water splash is quite amazing. How did she get that shot? Now I am going to have to collect some rocks and go try! Or win it lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello from the North of Canada, and thanks for sharing these photos, stunning! I can't decide but I think the peacock with his tail down is pretty neat!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ash told me to check out. Those are some nice pics. I like the water one, Lomo (Free Action).

    ReplyDelete
  8. So, I never received the picture I won. Do you know why? (This is Mr. C by the way)

    ReplyDelete

All comments must be submitted in a kind and respectful manor, this is family-friendly blog and all comments must be rated G! Thanks and happy posting!