Thursday, April 30, 2009

Help this family! Plus our deployment kick-off

As I was checking in with some of the blogs that I follow I cam across this story. I was planning on getting on here and telling you my hilarious kick off to our current deployment but God had other plans. He brought me to "little Tait's" website and I felt very compelled to pass it on. Here is an honest hard-working American couple. They have a little boy who was born very early, and instead of taking the free-to-them insurance that their state offers at every tax payers expense. They opted to work hard and take donations from those who truly do want to help. I don't know if I agree with them but I do know that I am impressed by them. I love to see people staying true to their convictions, especially when times are tough. I also love to see others step out in faith, and that is exactly what they are doing. So, if you can give.....Give BIG! Here is their site, pass it on!!! Oh and this is a family that is known by another family I know, so a true friend of a friend, not just some random so-and-so....

http://www.littletait.com/index.htm


Now for the deployment kick off.......

This morning I wake up to my husband gripping my shoulders and looking me square in the eye, "Virginia, you have to get up now and start breakfast it is 7:30" I am thinking, my goodness all that intensity for 7:30 eeeeeeee, "7:30????" YEAH he says in a shocked, dry humor sort of way.... The problem is that 1. he was suppose to report for his deployment at 4:30, 2. nobody in our house ever sleeps past 5 am so we were behind schedule on all fronts, 3. I had to get everyone up, dressed, fed, and to school in one hour, and 4. he was suppose to be there at 4:30! Well I jumped up, kissed him goodbye and watch as all of my little ones wander out sleepily saying their goodbyes amongst tears and confusion. I see my strong-wonderful-cool-as-a-cucumber, yet now frazzled, man running down the street, to the car, holding several duffel bags and wearing untied military boots. It was comical but nerve-racking all at the same time. To be late in the military is never good. To be late for a deployment is lethal! For the record it all worked out just fine, but man, this is not a way to start a day.

So I make breakfast, dressed the kiddos and started to do the girls hair, only to see that Avacake has a "pinky eye" as she calls it. So no school for her and now I have to juggle a doctors visit with four of them on the first day too...of course! We go to get into the car and alas, my lovely tulips that I love to see the progress of growth on each morning have been cut down by the weed-whackers that came by just minutes ago! Tears begin to well up as I think of all the hard work Bren and I did together (we are not natural gardeners-we do it out of reverence for God's creation and a desire to make our home beautiful). I stifle the tears because after all, they are just flowers. But I mull over if I should call the housing office to share the news about their current lawn people...ugh confrontation, my least favorite part of life!

Aidan makes it to school on time and I call the doctor to find out that she can call in a prescription and that no appointment is needed, HALLELUJAH! So just a trip to the pharmacy, oh and while out I might as well stop at (a home improvement store chain) for some light bulbs because we are out in so many rooms.

Thankfully this home improvement store has the carts with two seats up top so Liam and Breya share the space shuttle seat and Violet and Gracie hold hands and walk so nicely behind me. Until I stop to look at the light bulbs that is....Then in under two minutes (it was timed I will tell you how in a minute) Gracie and Violet decide that climbing on a shelf that is on display will be great fun. However, while climbing they knock down a Tiffany-style floor lamp, that quickly shatters, scratching a leather chair and breaking the shelf that the girls thought was a jungle-gym. Now I must say two things: 1. the look of fear on their faces when I turned around told me instantly that nobody was hurt and thinking back on it now I can almost laugh, 2. REALLY???? it was less than 2 minutes and I was right there, TRYING to decide if energy efficient-poisonous mercury light bulbs that cost twice as much were better than non energy efficient-non poisonous mercury filled bulbs for less.....That is what I get for trying to be green with five little ones LOL!

So to make the story even more Virginia-like, a sales person and a security guy call me back to the security room so that they can call the authorities for my 'vandalism of the store and neglect of my kids'. ARE YOU KIDDING ME???? Thankfully when the cop got there and 'witnessed' the tapes he noted that I glanced away for under two minutes all the while I was still talking with my kids and not taking my eye or hand off of the babies. He also said if i would have tied the big kids to the cart, which would have been the only other way to prevent this, I would have been abusing them according to current society. He also said that if they wanted to pick on me for bringing my kids into their store they needed to put a "not kid-friendly" sign on their door. I did however, have to pay for the broken light and shelf. So when we left there the cop helped me get the kids in the car and said he had five of his own kids and that I should not feel bad for anything that happened because he didn't see any error in my way. I thought that was really nice.

So after that we picked up the meds, went home for lunch and nap and then welcomed Aidan home. Unfortunately Aidan started this deployment off in typical Aidan fashion as well. The poor kid had a fire drill on top of Daddy's deployment start day. So Aidan chose to yell and jump around and act a fool during the fire drill. This upset some children and brought them to tears and it stressed-out his very calm teacher because she had 30 kids to worry about and he was crazy. So he was sent to the schools version of in-school suspension.

The evening went very well though. I got to talk to my hubby, we began our spring cleaning, and Lindsey came over to help get the kids to bed. While it has been a crazy day, it is definitely a blessing from God!

1 comment:

  1. Hi there! This is Little Tait's Aunt. =D I just wanted to say a HUGE THANK YOU for posting about Little Tait! It is so appreciated! God bless!

    Wow! Sounds like quite a day!

    ReplyDelete

All comments must be submitted in a kind and respectful manor, this is family-friendly blog and all comments must be rated G! Thanks and happy posting!